Modula Vertical Lift Modules Offer Efficiency and Cost Saving Benefits to Aerospace Companies
Modula's Vertical Lift Modules (VLMS) offer efficiency and cost saving benefits to aerospace companies to better compete in this high demanding sector
The aerospace industry is composed mainly of the rapidly expanding commercial aviation segment and the demanding budget-conscious defense sector. Deloitte reported that total global sector revenues for aerospace suppliers and this industry are expected to further grow by 2% in 2017.
Cost pressures, complex legislation, compressed lifecycles and increased focus on quality assurance is moving companies in the aerospace industry to seek technologies that can help them save valuable floor space, increase productivity and accuracy as well as ensure a controlled secured inventory environment. Passenger travel demand is constantly expanding. In parallel, replacement of aging fleets with new technologies and security threats are fueling aircraft production, defense budgets and the need of a reliable flawless supply chain process.
Clearly, in any aircraft manufacturing and parts maintenance facility, a disorganized picking and storage process can have a huge financial impact in terms of resources needed and inefficiency costs generated to run the day to day operations. Missing parts, a lack of a reliable real-time inventory, picking errors and too much time wasted to locate parts can easily bring high operational costs not sustainable in such a demanding and highly regulated market. Moreover, the expansion of routes means that aircraft parts need to be delivered on time 24/7 all year around virtually in any region.
The size of the products and tooling present ergonomic and space claim challenges. Aerospace industries require a large number of parts and components in a wide variety of sizes and weights that typically are needed on a short notice. Small and fragile components need to be stored and organized efficiently to be easily and quickly accessible. Large and heavy parts need to be picked and lifted at the optimal working height to guarantee the safety not only of the products but also of the operators.
Moreover, the demand for high levels of quality assurance combined with the need to keep cost in check is forcing the aerospace industry to adopt lean inventory and logistics models from the shop floor to the top floor. Designed to meet all these needs, Modula’s Vertical Storage Solutions are already implemented in many aerospace facilities across the United States.
Thanks to the enclosed system of vertically arranged trays, Modula’s Vertical Lift Modules (VLMs) utilize the available room height from floor to ceiling. This maximizes any areas storage potential. Items can be stored up to 46 ft. high in a safe and secure unit that automatically delivers them to the operator with a simple touch on the user-friendly copilot controller or the scan of the barcode. This feature eliminates the need to search for items and ensures that the right part is delivered to the right person, to the optimum ergonomic retrieval height
Virtually any type of parts can be stored in the Modula VLMS: tools, avionic components, engines, cables, hardware, specialized equipment parts, electronic gears. Trays can be organized for items of every type and size. By using partitions and dividers, it is possible to create the exact number of storage locations required in each tray and configuration settings can be adjusted at any time to accommodate changes in the size or quantity of the stored items.
Moreover, Modula`s VLMs can be easily integrated into any existing local IT system thanks to Modula WMS, a full suite of inventory management software that provides an accurate and continuous exchange of information with minimal impact on the pre-existing procedures. This greatly reduces the risk of human errors. By using the available data to its full potential, Modula`s software solutions offer to companies in the aerospace industry an improved inventory control and accountability. The user can monitor stock levels in real time, speed up order execution times for both picking and replenishment operations and have the visibility required to make good inventory decisions and reduce costs.
As the special tools used in the aircraft manufacturing and maintenance are expensive, a reliable locking and validation feature plays a key role in an industry where precision, safety, and accuracy are the most important bottlenecks.
Every unit is password protected, allowing only authorized operators with a personal badge and/or access code entry, to operate the machine. All picking operations are monitored and log-ins are tracked, even down to specific trays depending on the chosen level of security. Tracking access to specific trays is also beneficial for inventory traceability, preventing operators from picking the same items or for high valuable aircraft parts to be stolen.
By adopting Modula`s storage and retrieval solutions aerospace companies can protect their investment and count on a substantial ROI through increased productivity, significant space saving, enhanced security and traceability and a greater efficiency across all aspects of the aircraft manufacturing and maintenance process.
Benefits at a glance:
- Saving space: Saves up to 90% of valuable floor space compared to traditional storage methods, accommodating for future growth needs
- Full traceability and real-time inventory: All picking operations are monitored and documented to offer full traceability of the orders and monitor stock levels in real time
- Securing aircrafts special tools & spare parts: with controlled restricted access and barcode verification,
- Increased productivity and accuracy: in an industry where every minute counts, operators can quickly and easily identify the items needed to be picked or replenished thanks to simple visual picking aids
- Secured environment for products: Modula units are fully enclosed with an automatic door which prevents goods from being damaged or exposed to dust
- Easy software integration: Modula WMS can be seamlessly integrated with any ERP or Host System and offer real-time stock inventory
- Stock density optimization: thanks to a height detection system, the height of each tray is measured as the tray is put away, allowing for the densest storage location to be determined in real time, maximizing the storage density within the unit. Trays can be organized for every type/size of stored item
- Ergonomic storage and retrieval workstation: bulky and heavy aircraft parts are automatically delivered to the optimum ergonomic retrieval height
- Flexible integration & Scalable design: The units can be integrated into any existing aerospace logistics system and facility
Our references in the aerospace industry: